Friday, July 24, 2009

Patience and Proverbs

It’s natural for human beings to make uneducated judgments or assumptions based solely upon a person’s outward appearance. For without truly knowing what’s in the heart of another, evaluation and supposition through perception is what we default to.


But this is not the case with the Lord. For our Lord and Savior knows what’s in our hearts and minds.

7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV)

How many times have you made a quick judgment of someone without giving them the benefit of the doubt? I remember one time back in college I met a guy who was a friend of a friend. He came off as arrogant, obnoxious and sarcastic and it didn’t take very long for me to realize that not only did I not like him, but I wanted to fight him (forgive me, but I’m being honest). Over the course of time, I got to know this person a little better each day. Eventually, he became one of my closest friends at school and to this day we still keep in touch every now and again.

11 A man's wisdom gives him patience;
it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

Proverbs 19:11 (NIV)

Therefore, my message is this…be patient with one another and remember to not prematurely judge others, least you be judged the same way. God knows what’s in our hearts and minds and He cannot be fooled by outward appearance or deception. The Lord has given us scripture as His commands to follow. We must try to remember that every action we take should be to glorify God. For God is pleased when we are righteous and obey Him. However, sin is a direct insult to God and we will be accountable for all of our transgressions. Therefore, Lord, I pray that we are made wise by the Holy Spirit and remember to remain humble and patient with others. Amen.

I’ll leave you with one final verse from the book of Proverbs.

23 Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life.

Proverbs 4:23 (NLT)

God bless you. And this is for His Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse of the Day