Monday, August 24, 2009

Here I am. Send me.

I want to thank gotquestions.org and Brent Barnett in advance for giving me inspiration on the content I’m about to share.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way…

Many times we end up waiting for someone else to share or preach the gospel to us. This is especially true when it comes to friends or loved ones, as they know our past and it’s often more difficult for them to “buy in” to a slow or sudden change in spiritual direction. Too often, our expectations are set that a pastor, priest, spiritual leader etc. should always be the one who shares or preaches the word of God. It’s seems easy to listen and support them, but it’s not always easy to lead others to Christ.

But have no doubt that God wants us to play a direct role in building up His kingdom. I’ll say it again… God wants us to play a direct role in building up His kingdom. It pleases Him to see us glorifying His name.

1After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.
Luke10:1-3


Throughout the entire bible God has called ordinary men to do extraordinary things. Let’s look at an example from the Book of Isaiah.

Isaiah was called by God to prophesy to the Kingdom of Judah. At that time, Judah was going through hard times and was threatened by many other kingdoms. Judah was in chaos and falling into despair. Yet, out of mercy God spared Judah from destruction.

Isaiah’s commission began the day that he saw God. It was then that Isaiah immediately realized how unclean his life and the life of the people of Judah had been. After feeling God’s presence, perfection and holiness, Isaiah was overwhelmed by his sinful ways. His guilt was so great that he thought he was going to die.

5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
Isaiah 6:5

But the Lord had other plans for Isaiah…

6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."
8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah6:6-8


When the Lord asked who He should send (and “who will go for us” God was referring to the Holy Trinity), Isaiah immediately volunteered himself to take on whatever responsibility God would ask of him. Ultimately, he was charged with proclaiming a message of repentance from sin throughout the land of Judah and after witnessing the glory of God, Isaiah took it upon himself to deliver God’s message with every measure of his being.

Final Thoughts:
If we are willing to do whatever it takes to please God, follow His ways, and bring followers to Him, then we will be rewarded.

4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them. I am the LORD.
Leviticus 18:4-6

In the end we will be judged. We all will be charged to give a full account of our actions or lack of. So, I ask…would you rather lead, follow or get out of the way?

Here I am. Send me.

God bless you. And this is for His Glory.

2 comments:

  1. That was really awesome! It blows my mind that so many people think you don't have to do anything after they leave everything at the cross and except Jesus into your life. But what scares me the most,is something I have learned through my own walk and one of my best friends walk with God. It is to prioritize who you are talking to about God. If you are talking to strangers about Him but not talking to your childern and your wife, you may not be going in the right direction. I have seen my own childern and wife start to stumble in their walk with Christ because I wasn't doing my job as the spiritual leader of my home. It really brought to life that scripture "Faith without works is dead".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hits home for me as well. At times, my focus can be so "outwardly", that I forget about the people walking shoulder to shoulder beside of me. It's a great reminder and something that should stay in the front of all of our minds. If we can't make it work at home, how can we ever make it work anywhere else?

    ReplyDelete

Verse of the Day