Monday, February 16, 2009

Pride

Pride is widely considered to be one of the most serious of the 7 deadly sins. Pride also seems to be one of the first sins ever committed. One of the most widely documented examples of the sin of pride started with the devil himself.

Lucifer was created a Cherub (a mighty angel – and the same class of angel as the one that guarded the Garden of Eden) by the will of God and he was said to be both a powerful and beautiful angel. Before long, Lucifer became so self-absorbed with his power, beauty, and intellect that he desired the throne of God for himself. Of course, he and numerous other betraying angels failed in their attempt to take over the throne of the almighty God and thus the lot was cast out of heaven forever. The sin that corrupted Lucifer was that of pride.

Pride includes actions such as self-absorption, arrogance, conceit or boasting. It is the act of putting yourself first over others. It is also the act of high-mindedness. Pride and vanity are similar in that you care only for yourself and it’s “all about you.”

Example: Let’s say you come home from work and immediately go and get something to eat out of the fridge. You don’t bother to ask your spouse or loved ones if they would like something – you just know that it’s been a long day and you’re hungry. This is one simple example of the self-absorption component of pride that I am referring to. Pride is also the concept of thinking that you look or ‘are’ better than other people. This certainly was not the way that Christ acted when he was on earth. Nor is this the way he wants or expects us to act.

Also, beware of pride within the hearts others. If you see someone who exhibits a great deal of vanity or pride – do not allow them to bother you. How many times have you heard either you or someone else say…“well at least I’m not as bad as so and so.” Beware of making comparison statements such as these. For in doing this, we also are at risk of sin.

Think about the word PRIDE for a moment – isn’t it interesting how the letter “I” sits directly in the middle of the word?

Humility and charity are virtues that oppose pride. Be mindful of these and be on guard when times get tough. The devil is always on the lookout to inspire your heart to sin.

Passage:

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money."

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

James 4:13-18


Final thoughts –

The one thing that I learned while researching the sin of pride was that I unconsciously find myself doing many of these things. It hasn’t been as much the vanity part as it has been self-absorption.

The many lessons that I’ve learned from this sin is to be mindful of being arrogant, putting myself first, and to remain humble. This becomes especially difficult if you’ve never had to think about this before - much less act on it. But for me, change is not only necessary, it is mandatory.

Therefore, be mindful of the sin of pride. Be aware of all the bad characteristics, behaviors, actions, etc. that makeup pride. For many of us (including myself) this becomes a daily struggle to combat the endless tidal waves of temptation.

Although my personal struggle with pride is great, I have faith. Because with the Lord, all things are possible. And I pray that he helps me to overcome my weaknesses and earthly temptations.

With that being said, I'll leave you with this passage from Isaiah:

I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins.

I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty
and will humble the pride of the ruthless.


Isaiah 13:11


God bless you. And this is for His Glory!

2 comments:

  1. This stuff is Good that you post. I wish more people could read this. I believe that the Holy Spirit is alive and working in you. You must continue to allow Him to guide and you must be obedient to Him. I fill as though you are getting ready to make a move, I believe it has something with the way you were taught. Seek God and His wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I hope and pray that God grants me the wisdom to post information that keeps people mindful of His word. I am not worthy of His blessings, but I want to make a difference in other peoples lives and keep them inspired. I too, wish that more people could read and comment on this site. God willing, I plan to keep this going for a very long time. God bless you and I hope you continue reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Verse of the Day