Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Perfection...or lack thereof

At times, I can’t help but feel like a hypocrite. There are situations where the stresses of life take over and I act in a manner that is far from being a Christian. I know that this is part of being human, for we are not perfect. Actually, no one is perfect except for God. However, I always end up feeling like I let Him down, my family down, and even myself down when I act in a foolish manner.

Why is it so hard to love our neighbor as ourselves? Why is it so hard to resist saying something in response to something that was said to us? Why is it so hard to put other people first?

Each day we are faced with temptation. The devil’s hatred of God is beyond our comprehension and he works 24/7/365 to try and get us to sin. It is through sin that the devil wins these small battles that take us farther away from God’s grace. However, through faith and perseverance, it is up to us win the war. By “winning the war” I am referring to resisting temptation, obeying God’s words, and bouncing back when you’re faith is down. We do this with one goal in mind - so that we have a chance to pass though the gates of Heaven on our day of judgment.

So how do we win the war against sin? First and foremost, we must familiarize ourselves with God’s word, i.e. the Bible. We must commit ourselves to thinking and acting in the way that the Bible tells us to. This is indeed a repetitive act and becomes much more than a “one time shot”…it is a lifetime commitment. The hard part is more in the execution than it is in absorbing His word.

27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.

30I and the Father are one."

John 10:27-30


Final Thoughts -

When we think about it - doesn’t if feel better when we do something good? In times when we inadvertently distance ourselves from God, doesn’t something just not feel right? We will all be judged on our actions, our in-actions, and the thoughts within our hearts.

So, the next time you are about to respond or act in a highly emotional manner consider the following verse from the Book of Romans before you act.

16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.


Romans 12:16-19


God bless you. And this is for His Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse of the Day