Saturday, April 4, 2009

Those Less Fortunate

I was downtown the other day and stood at a cross walk waiting to cross the street. Behind me, I heard someone ask, “Would you like to buy a news paper to help the homeless?” The question wasn’t directed at me, but at three business men walking past. I wasn’t surprised when they looked away, attempting not to make eye contact with the homeless man. Quickly, they gave a slight horizontal nod and continued walking down the street.

Immediately, the Lord entered my heart and I felt compelled to help this man. I turned around and reached into my pocket and gave him a dollar – which was the price of the “street” paper. As I looked him over, I saw that he wore a toboggan with a cross embroidered on it. As he took my dollar he said, “God bless you, this will not be wasted.” I could see the truth of that statement in his eyes and could tell that he was thankful for the dollar. We exchanged a few additional pleasant remarks and then I went on my way. As I walked down the street, I felt good about what I had done and wondered if I should have just given him everything in my pocket. I almost turned around, but I didn’t…I kept walking.

Once I got into my car I began listening to the Bible on CD. As I left the parking lot I suddenly heard the following passage…

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

Proverbs 21:13

I have not memorized the Bible, so I had no idea that this verse was coming up. I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I was that I gave the homeless man something, even though it was merely a dollar. It was as if the Lord was saying that I did the right thing…and I would have felt terrible if I heard this verse and had ignored the man on the street.

A few days later I was walking down the same street and saw the same homeless man again. A quick glance told me that he wore the same clothes AND the same toboggan. Without hesitation I reached out and gave him a dollar. He recognized me, smiled and said, “God is going to turn on you.” I smiled and told him that I hoped so. As he handed me the “street” paper he said, “Read my article.” I got his name and made a mental note do so.

Later, as I got home (thank you Lord for the roof over my head), I sat down to read the homeless man’s article. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he was an educated man. He wrote much better than I do and seemed to have more knowledge than most people would ever give a homeless person credit.

I must say that reading his article opened my eyes about those less fortunate. For they are human beings just like we are and just because they don’t have a roof over their head doesn’t mean that we are better than them. Every one of us is precious in God’s eye, irregardless of our circumstance here on earth.

The next time you see someone less fortunate on the street or in the mall remember the following passage from Matthew:

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,

43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Matthew 25:40-46

God bless you. And this is for His Glory!

4 comments:

  1. John
    What a beautiful message! It certainly brought tears to my eyes. edie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was something that I just had to write about...I just couldn't ignore it. I hope that I see this man again sometime soon. Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kind of situation has happened to me numerous times. The area we live in is populated by many homeless. I have had people tell me that I should not give them money because they will use it for drugs or alcohol. But I feel we are supposed to give out of what we perceive as a need and not be concerned about what the gift is used for. My God knows that it was given from my heart with a sincere wish to make someone's life a little easier for that moment.
    Take care and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true...God knows what's in our hearts and that makes all the difference. Thank you for posting a comment. I'd love to hear more from you in the future.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Verse of the Day